Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Is a recession slowing down the food blogs?

As a food blogger and a hospitality professional, I used to read a lot of food blogs. Now I don't, but I read "EaterLA" several times a day. It's sort of a meta-blog, offering pithy commentary on and links to interesting articles in newspapers, blogs, message boards. I read it to keep up on the openings and closings in the LA restaurant scene.

When I first started reading Eater, back in May, there were 4-6 postings a day. In the last few days it has gone down to 1-3. And 1-2 of those are typically "Board Watch" or a photo with a quick caption.

My theory is slowed economy=fewer openings=fewer things to write about. Though you think there'd be lots of closings to write about. (Un?)fortunately we're not there quite yet.

Actually, the real truth is that with layoffs happening at the drop of a hat, people are actually buckling down at work instead of reading and/or writing food blogs and message board posts during the work day. That's my guess.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am a restaurant owner in san diego who wants to hear more about the viability os suing yelp. I encourage you to check on a la times article by david lasurus from wednesday feb 11th. discussing yelp's shakedown sales tactics.