Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Yelp! Hate (again)

Here's a Yelp! review of a California business of my acquaintance. I've removed the name of the business:

Reviewed by XXXX X.

I don't even know where to begin. I guess the beginning.

I was running late and meeting some of my friends to shop at XXXXXX XXXXXX. They had been talking the place up and I was excited to get some new threads. Anyways, as I said, I was running late and my friends had already been shopping for awhile. I walked in alone and
immediately a woman working there gave me a look of fear and quickly closed the register. Then, she came over to me and asked me why I was there and if I had an "legitimate" business or if I was merely there to shop lift. I couldn't believe it. I guess XXXXXX XXXXXX doesn't want
business from a black man. I didn't know what to say. I tried to ignore the hateful comment and just walk over to my friends who were trying on hats. I kept walking into the store and the woman working register stepped in my path and tried to block me. Again, I tried to
ignore it and just get over to my friends but she pushed her arms out to stop me. When she shoved me, she lost balance and fell over screaming that I was responsible for shoving her. My friends shot me a look of "What's your problem, why would you shove a shop girl?" I tried to explain to my friends that she shoved me and merely lost her balance, but the shop girl told the complete opposite story and my friends didn't believe me.

Things have never been the same for me since I lost my social circle. I know it's not the shops fault that they employee a racist woman or that my friends were so fair weather. But I can never walk by XXXXXX XXXXXX without being reminded of the racism that still lingers behind the pretence of our equality.

And now commentary from the proprietor of the establishment:

some fake person put a review up for the XXXXXX XXXXXX that is totally
made up and false. you can tell by reading the review that it is false. there has never and would never be any type of incident like this at the XXXXXX XXXXXX. we run our business based on respect for
everyone and do not tolerate racism, sexism and homophobia and hate. we have NEVER had anything like this happen at the store. I need your help to flag this review based on slander and false accusations of racism and violence. it is interesting that the persons name or face
is anonymous. anyone who knows me and the store knows this is not true, but i fear that people reading this on YELP will believe it. I have tried to address yelp and they actually responded with flagging my review of my own store stating that " an owner of a store can't
write a review of their business" and suggested " i pay for a business account" where i can monitor my reviews. WHERE IS THE JUSTICE?

Without getting into this too much, a couple comments:

1. Even if the complaint by the reviewer is true, where does Yelp! get off attempting to extort money from a business owner in response to their complaint?

2. Why does Yelp! operate under this pretense of unbiased reviews? The review of a business by the business' owner is not necessarily any less biased than any random reviewer who has it out for a business.

Keep on keepin' on with the Yelp! hate. Send me more evidence.

1 comment:

CosmoGirl said...

Hi DJD, I noticed that you don't have a way to contact you...Is there a way?

I liked your former posts on Y-hate and wanted to ask you something specific.

Thanks, CosmoGirl